Saturday 3 December 2011

Are chooks stupid ?

Onion & Christine foraging for worms

 A few days ago when I checked the nesting box I was stunned to see three eggs in the hay so now I know that only one of the chooks has yet to perform ! I suspect it's shy Maudy. Perhaps it's only coincidence but that same morning they were accidentally shut in their quarters until I opened the door for them amid a lot of noisy complaining. Snakes and goannas are a threat so we decided to shut them at night to avoid an attack but they do start to get very vocal especially when they know I'm about. The free ranging experiment has it's drawbacks too. The neighbours rang us concerned because the chooks were at their place on the driveway and clucking loudly when the car horn sounded to get them out of the way, so it seems a better idea to let them out for a shorter time later in the day so they don't have time to wander far before they start to think about roosting for the night. They really are very knowing animals and not at all deserving of the reputation for being stupid. As far as I can see they are pretty smart and learn very fast. They respond to my voice and come when I call them and Onion will follow me to watch whatever I'm doing with a very inquisitive air. Sage actually opened the door of the chook house one morning by picking away at the bolt so to think they are 'bird brained' seems an unfair assessment.
http://the-pastel-cat-artist.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment